Thursday, May 7, 2015

DIY Art Equipment

I wish I was smart enough to make things from scratch out of my head, but I am smart 
enough to copy others.  As an artist I know deep down everything is a copy, I mean 
inspired, remixed, influenced by....however you want to put it we all copy each other. Not a Steve Jobs fan boy but he does have a neat quote about this: 

"Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something,
they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That's because they were able to connect experiences they've had and synthesize new things."

So I like to find neat things I can't really afford and just make it, or piece it together and then realize I should have just bought it to begin with. I will go straight to spending money when it comes to HVAC. I don't mess around with that. 

I've been wanting a cool pallet for my paints, so this is what I came up with.





I used these little hinges that slide apart so it seperates into two pieces.
Not tried it in the field yet, but it sits/clamps to my set up just like I want it to.



I made the box from the little craft packs of cheap pine wood at Hobby Lobby when I was there the other day for some framing. 

The Ceramic pallet I made from some scrap white earthenware we had left over from when I was doing the clay unit with my high school students. 

The stain is from soaking a steel wool pad in a few cups of vinegar for a few days.

Glued together with a little Gorilla Glue, clear coat, throw in some paint and a water brush...good to go.

Gets a strong testing this weekend as I paint a wedding in Young Harris Ga, at a Beautiful resort then, driving to a Spartanburg hotel to rest, and prepare for my attempt at the Assault on Mt Mitchell on Monday.


No comments: